Long gone are the days when brides who were with child need marry before they show or after they’ve given birth, so if you’re a glowingly bride to be, there are dresses that are fit for any stage of your pregnancy – whether you want to hide it or flaunt it.
There’s nothing more beautiful than a woman carrying a babe in their belly… except perhaps when she’s walking down the aisle toward her beloved in a wedding gown to die for. Whether you’re barely sporting a baby bump or you’re less than a month from your due date, there are gowns that are designed to either hide or accentuate your belly. Styles of gowns for pregnant brides vary from floating romance to drop-waist perfection, and all depend on what you’re looking for in your dress.
Disguising your Baby Bump
Many brides, especially in the early part of their term, prefer a silhouette that disguises their bump – not out of fear or embarrassment, but simply because they want a gown that hides what they want hidden. They may even be waiting until after the ceremony to share the big news. Whatever the reason, there are certain silhouettes for gowns that can detract from your burgeoning belly, and allow you to share your maternity when and how you’re ready to. Here are just some of the wedding gown styles that can help you to hide your belly on your big day:
• Empire gowns – with a waistline resting right under the breasts, empire gowns are the perfect way to emphasize your bust, drawing the eye upward and away from your belly. This style works best early in the term.
• Sheath dress with high gathers – it may seem impossible, but the lack of a waistline of a sheath dress makes it possible for gathered folds between the breasts to minimize your baby bump.
• A-line – combined with an emphasized and embellished sweetheart neckline, the shape of the A-line draws the eye up to the top of the point, and minimizes your swelling belly.
• Asymmetrical bodice – the interest an asymmetrical bodice adds to your dress can simultaneously distract from the belly below.
• Grecian styles – the flowing and floating appearance of a Grecian styled gown can flow around your baby bump gracefully, hiding the presence of your babe with elegance and a classic flair.
Flaunting Your Baby Bump
Of course, a lot of brides are also blindingly proud of their little carry-on, and want to share that joy and pride with the world – and that includes on their wedding day. Because the societal stigma of unmarried motherhood is no longer an issue for most modern women, the number of wedding gowns that can accentuate your baby bump with class and style makes it virtually impossible to not find the maternity gown that works best for you. Here are some of the classic styles of maternity gown that are designed to share your bump with your friends and family on your special day:
• Empire waistlines cinch right under the bust line, highlighting not only the breasts that pregnancy has bestowed upon you, but the bundle of joy itself right underneath. While it tends to distract from your belly in the earlier part of pregnancy, later stages see this dress perfectly accentuating your baby bump for the wonder it truly is.
• Pleating – while not normally a good style for anyone with a few extra pounds, it is actually perfect for women wanting to show their pregnant belly off because of how well it emphasizes the change in your body’s shape.
• Body-hugging sheath – a sheath dress that hugs your curves can really show off your bump, but it’s a look that should be considered with care, as it may only be suitable for brides whose weight has only changed in the area of the bump.
Regardless of what your desire in your wedding dress, to conceal or display, maternity gowns can be found in myriad styles to help you find exactly the maternity bridal gown that’s right for you.